Iron church bell, cast in iron by Even Olson in 1595.
This bell, cast in iron, is classical in shape and very sparingly decorated. There are just a few horizontal lines in relief at the top and bottom and in between the two lines of the inscription. The headstock is decorated with three legs on each side, to facilitate attachment of its chains.
The bell in Norrbo Church is the oldest church bell extant in Hälsingland. The upper line of the inscription reads:
”KLOCKAN ÄR THER TIL GIORD TIL
UPVECKIA MENNISKIAN AT HÖRA GUDZ ORD. ANNO DOMINI 1595”
(This bell was made to awaken mankind to the word of God), and the bottom line runs:
”KYRCKOHERDE SAMMA TYDH OIAVS ANDREAE. EVEN OLSON”
(Vicar at this time Olavus Andreae. Even Olson).
The bell was installed after Norrbo Church had been badly damaged by fire in 1585. The church was in such a bad state that the parishioners had a new one built between 1595 and 1597. The bell was ordered at the same time by the vicar, Olof Andersson Grubb, whose Latinised name is inscribed on it together with that of the bell-founder. The bell then hung in the belfry till 1934, when it cracked and was replaced with a new one. Church bells have existed since the 4th century, their main purpose being the practical one of calling the parishioners to prayer and worship. Bells were also used for sounding the alarm, proclaiming a holy day and marking the elevation in the celebration of mass.